Sunday, January 3, 2010

Quick homemade Egg Drop Soup

Egg drop soup is a good quick snack. And especially satisfying in the wintertime. 
Plus, it's so easy to make up a single serving!
I keep organic chicken broth (would also work with vegetable broth) on hand. I like the broth that comes in a box because it's so easy to refrigerate the extra.

So, I start by pouring 1 cup or so of chicken broth in a small pan. I throw in half a cup of frozen veggies. When the broth is hot, I add 2 beaten egg whites and simmer 3-4 minutes. Salt & Pepper as desired. 

Now let me tell you what I did today with this! To the broth, I added a handful of petite frozen sliced green beans and 1/4 cup frozen corn. When the broth was hot, I added 7 medium pre-cooked shrimp, a dash of Chinese 5 spice powder and then the egg whites. 

Extra protein. Low carb, which is especially nice after a week of Christmas merriment! 

Mmm...So easy. So tasty. I've even done it without veggies for an extra protein boost during the day. And when it's 0 degrees outside, hot soup makes a great meal or snack!

In this together,
Anne

No comments: