Wednesday, November 18, 2009

No need to wait for the holidays to start your fitness program!

We are entering the season of office parties,  school parties, and family celebrations.  And it is pretty common to hear people this time of year say, "I'll just wait until after the holidays to start my diet."
I used to do that every year! About this time of year I would decide I need to lose weight but with Thanksgiving coming, who was I kidding? I figured I would start after Thanksgiving. Then of course, I would decide I might as well wait until after Christmas and then after New Year's and on and on until it was nearly spring and gardening season. Surely I would work off the pounds gardening and doing yardwork and playing with the kids outside. Does that all sound a little bit familiar? 
It's a vicious cycle! Let's face it. There are always going to be holidays and celebrations. It's life! But don't put off your workouts just because you are afraid you are going to blow your eating for a few days. Stick to your workouts. Even during the busiest days this season, you can get a 15 minute walk in or Tony's 10 Minute Trainer! 
By starting and sticking to regular exercise even during the holidays, it will help you handle the stress better. Your immune system will be stronger. You'll be less likely to splurge as often and you will feel like eating better. Don't feel guilty, however, if you belly up to the buffet and put a few too many crabcakes and croissant bites on your plate. Guilt is non-productive!
My challenge to you is that if you aren't already exercising, start today! Commit to 5-6 days a week, even during the holidays.  You will bounce back a lot faster afterwards and you may just end up with a few less pounds to start off the new year!

You are strong and committed!
Anne Dovel

No comments: